This commemoration is a 2018 addition to A Great Cloud of Witnesses.
Return to Lectionary Home Page
Webmaster: Charles Wohlers
Last updated: 29 Dec. 2018
ELIZABETH EVELYN WRIGHT
In 1888, she matriculated at Booker T. Washington's Tuskegee Institute as a night student. After two years, Wright moved to Hampton County, South Carolina to assist in a rural school for black children. After the school was burned, she returned to Tuskegee and graduated.
In 1897, she moved to Denmark in rural Bamberg County, South Carolina. There she started a school over a store with the support of some influential people in the community. She raised money for what she called Denmark Industrial School, modeled after Tuskegee Institute. Ralph Voorhees and his wife, philanthropists from Clinton, New Jersey, donated $5,000 for the purchase of land and construction of the school's first building. In 1902 Voorhees Industrial School opened for male and female students at the elementary and high school levels, and Wright was principal. Voorhees provided additional gifts during the next few years, and the General Assembly incorporated the school in his name.
The school was later affiliated with the Protestant Episcopal Church and eventually became a fully accredited four-year college.
— from Wikipedia
More information may be found in an article from the Times & Democrat of Orangeburg, SC.